jacqui{JB}

"Dale" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I have a Bulgarian recipe (from Traditional Bulgarian
> Cooking by Atanas Slavov) that calls for 2 lb of fresh
> stinging nettle. At a specialty store I managed to buy
> a bag of dried nettle. I'm guessing that I can substitute
> the dried nettle, but I don't know how much I would
> have to use. Any ideas out there? Or do you think I
> should go pick my own fresh nettles?

You'll probably get better suggestions if you post your recipe, but I'd
hazard a guess that anything which requires two pounds of a fresh leafy
green isn't going to be the same if you use a dehydrated product. Your
dried nettles simply aren't going to rehydrate properly.

You could give it a try (and hopefully post a follow-up, since I'm sure I'm
not the only one who'd be curious as to your results), or you can find an
alternate use for your dried nettles. Herb tea comes to mind. Nettles are
a good source of vitamin C, as well as a good antihistamine. Unfortunately,
I seem to have mislaid the reference book I want, so I can't give you more
info.

But as for your recipe, if I were you, I'd wait until spring and then go out
to gather my own fresh, tender, young nettles.
-j