Sheldon

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "Gary Grathen" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > How should I store kalamata olives I buy from the local deli? I searched
> > brine" or olive oil, although it wasn't clear exactly what "mother brine"
> > was.
> >
> > What is the best method for storing refrigerated kalamata olives purchased
> > from a deli?
> >
> > Thanks.

> Gary - as someone else said, have the deli weigh out your olives, *then* add
> some of the liquid they were in before - it only goes to waste at the deli
> otherwise.
>
> However, if you already have some and they are dry - put them in a little> oil, if they were in oil at the store, put on some oil, if they were brined,
> use brine.

Actually those types of olives are quite perishable, the salt cured
olives have been well rinsed prior to being offered for sale (they
actually rehydrate) so they must be refrigerated and have a shelf life
of about 2-3 weeks. Oil cured olives are also perishable... those are
drained then flushed with plain water to remove excess oil, those too
must be refrigerated and have about a 2-3 week shelf life also. Store
in fridge in original container, covered... buy no more than can be
consumed in one week. In most cases all the prep is done at the
distributer prior to being repacked into five gallon plastic pails and
shipping to delis. There are still some olive emporiums where cured
olives are available in the original state as received from the
exporter. I've never seen olives sold in stupidmarkets in their
original preserved state. There are are still NYC appetizing stores
and other ethnic markets where preserved olives are sold directly from
the original wooden barrels.

Sheldon