wesley

Default what is the shelf life of wheat bran and oat bran?

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:57:54 -0800, john wrote:

> Yesterday, I ate a whear/oat bran mixture that I bought from the store
> about 2 weeks ago and ended up having problems sleeping the same night.
> Was it because the bran went bad? Does anyone know the shelf life of
> wheat/oat bran?
> I am aware that the germ is removed from the wheat kernel to prevent
> rancidity, but I thought the wheat bran outer hull was removed for taste
> reasons. would it be correct to assume that the bran, like the wheat germ,
> is removed for rancidity reasons also?

Wheat bran is primarlily composed of undigestable (by humans) complex
carbohydrates. Carbs that cannot be digested by humans are generally
referred to as "fiber" in the diet. It shouldn't go bad. Given reasonably
proper storage (kept sealed air tight in a cool, dry environment) I would
think the shelf life would be quite long.

Wheat germ, OTOH, is easily subject to going rancid because of the oils
present.

That said, you may have a food allergy problem that makes you sensitive to
wheat bran fiber even if there is nothing wrong with the food.