Randall Nortman

On 2005-08-14, Randall Nortman > wrote:
> On 2005-08-14, Kenneth > wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:59:55 GMT, Randall Nortman
> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm wondering if it might make sense to maintain the starter with
>>>all-purpose flour instead of bread flour,

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Is not KA-AP flour "bread" flour by most standards?
>>
>> Most folks seem to use the term "bread" flour to mean a
>> high-protein white.

> I think that with respect to the current question (starter feeding),
> the critical difference between them is not protein content but the
> fact that KA bread flour has added malted barley flour, which provides
> enzymes that break down the starches into sugars more easily digested
> by yeast (and lactobacilli). Unfortunately, I can't check the
> ingredient list of the KA AP flour since I put the flour in airtight
> containers and throw the bags away, but my recollection is that it
> does not have malted barley flour.

Nevermind, I found the ingredient list online (not on the King Arthur
site, but at
http://www.mannaharvest.net/product_...oducts_id/3331), and
there is malted barley flour even in the all-purpose flour. So, I
stand corrected, and this entire thread is probably a waste of time,
unless somebody else knows of another reason to prefer bread vs. AP
flour (aside from the fact that AP flour is often cheaper).

--
Randall