Scott Dorsey

Space Cowboy > wrote:
>My local stores couldn't tell me Barooti means gunpowder. However what
>average American would recognize the word gunpowder meaning tea. It is
>also like the Asian stores where nobody speaks English but they take
>AE. The leaf I've seen is BOP and not curled like gunpowder. It isn't
>even green.

Right, it is in no relation to the Chinese "green gunpowder" tea. In
fact, the Chinese "gunpowder" tea isn't much like gunpowder at all. It's
much grainier even than a blasting powder. The Barooti, like a typical
BOP, is about the consistency of a rifle powder.

So I am willing to bet there is no connection between the two uses.

> I still haven't satisfied myself on the use of Kalami.
>The Arabic Royal World brand says Kalmi(missing A) Orange Pekoe Ceylon.
> So in a sense I think they mean whole leaf. Kalami/Ghalami is the
>whole leaf assam you see in the Arabic stores. Gulabi is the name of a
>Company.

No, I have seen Gulabi used by a large number of companies, and it is
clearly not an Arabic word since they do not use the G. I'm willing to
bet on the Persian translation, but I'm curious how it got used and why.

And I don't know what Kalami/Ghalami/Kalmi really means or what language
it's in. This is what I started out trying to figure out.
--scott