Deepak Saxena

Default Help: Beans in Chili Not Soft

In article >,
dr owl > wrote:

>We made a large pot of chili con carne (Gazzaniga's low salt, lowest
>sodium cookbook) Soaked red kidney beans overnight. Cooked 1 and a
>half hrs per package instructions. Added to ingredients and simmered
>1/2 hr per cookbook. The beans are not cooked well and are crunchy. Is
>there anything we can do at this point to rescue the beans and save
>this?

Buy yourself a pressure cooker. I don't eat meat so my main source
of protein is beans and having a pressure cooker has saved me lots
and lots of work. Soak beens, pressurce cook for about 15 minutes
and then add to whatever your final dish will be along with the bean
broth instead of water or stock.

~Deepak
--
Deepak Saxena - - http://www.plexity.net