TOliver

"Tom" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My name is Tom. I am looking for a recipe for "pulse", the food that
> Daniel ate in the Old Testament. From my research I know that it was
> not meat or fruit. I have searched the net and the book stores, but
> have not found anyone who could tell me which vegetables were used in
> pulse, or how it was prepared. If someone has this information and
> would be willing to share it with me, I would be ever so thankfull.
> Thank you,

I have no scientific or historical sources upon which to base an accurate
reply, but have spent much of my life consistently understanding the term
(at least to my own satifaction) as any one of a number of dried legumes,
reconstutued slowly over low heat. Such dishes are found (and appear
historical and literary references) all around the Mediterranean Basin from
the Pillars to the Levant, in North Africa, Egypt, in the Tigris/Euphrates
river networks, old Persia and throughout the Indian subcontinent.

IIRC, there are a number of modern (1600-present) references to "pulse" in
the framework of "dried peas".

From Dhal to Hummus to Split Pea Soup to Frijoles al Charro to "Pease
porridge hot, pease porridge cold, pease porridge in the pot, nine days
old...", thats the best I can do.....

TMO