Rich N

Default Velveeta substitute for Rotel cheese dip

Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..
> On 20 Sep 2003 15:31:08 -0700, (Rich N) wrote:
>
> >When I lived in Texas, a popular dip for chips was called Rotel cheese
> >dip. Melt a brick of Velveeta and pour in a can of Rotel tomatoes and
> >chiles. Now that I no longer want to eat Velveeta (too many
> >additives), would anyone suggest a substitute? Could I just melt some
> >cheddar cheese, or would I need something else to keep the cheese from
> >separating?

> "Processed" cheese (Velveeta, American whatever, Laughing Cow) is a
> sure-fire smooth melter. Things involving Real Cheese, like fondue,
> require the addition of starch, liquid, and very careful application
> of heat to result in a smooth and creamy sauce. They also tend to turn
> to globs surrounded by fat when cooled. You might try making a white
> sauce (flour, butter, milk) and adding grated cheese and Rotel or
> Rotel-equivalent and keeping it in a warmed dish or pot of some sort.

Thank you, Frogleg, you are quite right. That's what I'm going to
try, after making the version with American cheese slices yesterday.
No judgment on anyone who likes them, but they made me sick. I was
surprised to discover that the Kraft brand was good ole pastuerized
process cheese food. I may try getting some American cheese from the
deli also. The dip tasted good but I had a sort of hangover
afterwards, I'm not used to eating food with that many additives.