modom

On 15 Jun 2005 16:53:24 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:

>I made the most delicious dinner tonight!!!

You sure did.
[nice recipe snipped]

>Now, the sauce. It was good, but it wasn't what I was attempting to do.
>I wanted to make something like a white wine reduction, but although I
>simmered it for quite a while, it never really became sauce-like. More
>like a flavored butter.
>
>I used about 4 T butter, melted, about 1/2 c white wine, 2 T lemon
>juice, and some capers. I whisked everything together and cooked it on
>low for a while, and it tasted good spooned over the fish, but the
>consistency was simply that of melted butter, not quite as thick as I
>had hoped it would reduce to.

You might try incorporating the butter after you've reduced the wine
and lemon juice a little. Take the reduction off the heat and whisk
the softened (not melted) butter into it, letting the residual heat do
the melting for you. With luck, it'll thicken like a gravy. It has
worked for me, anyway.

>I made the mashed potatoes with buttermilk, so they were nice and
>tangy.
>
>I made a salad of butter lettuce, grated raw zucchini, grated asiago
>cheese, and toasted hazelnuts. The dressing was olive oil, cider
>vinegar, orange juice, a little sugar and a little salt, and 2 minced
>chives.
>
>The fish was a concept that I think I saw on a restaurant menu once,
>but certainly not like something I've had. Around here (coastal waters
>along the Chesapeake Bay) most stuffed fish is stuffed with crabmeat.
>Of course that's delicious too, but I wanted to make somethng kind of
>greek with spinach and feta. I am really happy with the stuffing and I
>think it could become one of my show-off dishes.
>
>Nice way to start the summer!!!

Sounds like it. The stuffed flounder sounded delightful. Thanks for
sharing it with us.

modom

Only superficial people don't judge by appearances.
-- Oscar Wilde