Sheldon

sf wrote:
> Ken Knecht wrote:
>
> > Can I replace honey in a bread (machine) recipe with the same amount of
> > sugar with little change in the result? I find honey very difficult to
> > measure and handle and, anyway, am not that crazy about the taste.
> >

> I agree with the posters who said they use honey and sugar
> interchangeably. Additionally, I like the taste of honey better, even
> though it's not a huge taste difference for me.
>
> My caution to you is that honey is a liquid and sugar isn't so you
> need to adjust the amount of liquid you add accordingly.

Nope. In baking sugar counts as a liquid, so do not add liquid when
using sugar, in fact if anything when substiting with honey it may be a
good idea to subtract liquid... by weight honey has twice the
sweetening power of sugar, so use half as much... they are not equally
interchangeable... probably won't notice in small quantities like a
spoonful in a whole loaf of bread but if a cake calls for a cup of
sugar and you use a cup of honey instead be prepared for a suprise.
Honey and sugar are sold by weight, not volume.

Sheldon