Elaine Parrish

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Seth Goodman wrote:

> In article >, on Thu, 2 Jun 2005 06:32:44 -0700,
> Larry G wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket doesn't
> > carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil "no
> > substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".
> >
> > The main result for search engines is veterinary supply stores (??? - I
> > don't wanna know).
> >
> > Would a health foods (like Henry's Marketplace) store carry it? What about
> > something like Smart & Final? We're getting a Sam's Club here, but it's not
> > built yet.

> Soybean oil is extremely common - almost all oils labeled simply as
> "vegetable oil" are actually soybean oil. Check labels at the
> supermarket - the actual oil used will be in the ingredients list. Plain
> Wesson, IIRC, is 100% soybean oil.
>
> That said, I can't believe using any of the common highly refined oils
> (canola, corn, peanut, etc.) would make much of a difference - they're
> all almost tasteless.
>

> --
> Seth Goodman

Yeah, I agree. I thought maybe the directions were making a distinction
between using oil instead of lard, which would be very different in taste,
and maybe even shortening, which "sets up" as it begins to cool.

I don't know when that recipe was first generated, but it hasn't been so
long ago that many restaurants commonly used lard. Mickey D's fries were
the best on the planet when they did. <g>

Elaine, too