Vox Humana

Default good jello/fruit combos?

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other
> > stuff) in it. What combos work the best in your hands?

> > -Jen

> My mom used to make Jell-O salads for holidays -- snooty folks here
> would cringe at the thought. Either orange or lime Jell-O with shredded
> carrots and finely chopped celery folded in. 9x13 pan. Cut in squares
> and served with a dollop of mayo on top. Loved it.

Same here. We always had a Jell-O salad, sometimes two. I never make
Jell-O, but when I go to family events for the holidays, I look forward to
the Jell-O salads. One was raspberry Jell-o with frozen raspberries and
crushed pineapple. It was topped with sour cream and mini-marshmallows.
The other salad was lime Jell-O, whipped cream, cream cheese, and fruit
cocktail. Although these are classic salads from the 1960's and, as you
point out, consider gauche by foodies, they are part of my food memories.
That is why I think it is a mistake to get too avant-garde with holiday
menus at the expense of continuing family traditions.