Shaun aRe

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Shaun a Dimwit scrawled:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
> > Stressed wrote:
> > > If you scrub the mold off of a potato, is it ok to eat? I say no,

my
> > > husband thinks it's alright. Thank you.

> > Potatoes are subject to myriad diseases.
> >
> > A common tuber disease is Rhizoctonia or black scurf. This fungal
> > disease is characterized by small, irregular black patches on the

tuber
> > surface. These patches, called "sclerotia,"

> Are you *certain* you have the right word there?

"Are you *certain* you have the correct reference there... dictionarys
are notoriously worthless for abstractions."

Yes, I'm certain I have the definition correct.
> "n. pl. scle·ro·ti·a (-sh-, -sh)
> A dense mass of branched hyphae, as in certain fungi, that contain

stored
> food and are capable of remaining dormant for long periods.
>
> [New Latin, from Greek sklrots, hardness, from sklros, hard.]"
>
> Truffles are sclerotia.

"Uni-dimensional thinking... can't even comprehend his own reference..."

My question of you was not an accusation, it was a request for
clarification. The mold you described jarred with the definition of
sclerotia I had come across - I wanted to be sure you used the right word in
that context, so that I could ad that information to memory and therefore
broaden my knowledge base.

Now, if of course you would care to, could you explain how the above applies
to this potato mold? I really am genuinely curious - as I said previously,
I'm a bit of a (admittedly very amateur) fungiphile.

"did anyone ever tell you that you are functionally illiterate, you are
you know, most definitely... you've just demonstated that you have the
IQ of a potato, mashed. You're way too dumb to succeed at being a LOUD
MOUTH. I'm positive yours is the lowest IQ of all who've subscribed to
rfc during the past five year period."

No Sheldon, only you, but it's more or less the same formulaic response you
fire off to people here on a reagular basis, and it doesn't bother me in the
least. ',;~}~

I must admit though to being a little upset, that you didn't even put in one
half of a new thought before you attempted your (f)laming of me. <Sniffle>
;-(

"Typical internet/usenet Newbie,
with hair trigger keyboard."

Ha! Hilarious - I ask you a question, you fire off (as you so often do) your
little tirade, then accuse me of having a hair trigger keyboard. You do
realise the irony of that, don't you Shelly-Welly?

"Didn't yer momma teach you to put
pea-brain into gear before opening yap."

<Sigh> If only she'd have been your mother too, maybe she would have also
taught you to do such.

"Had only you'd known how to do
an internet search for <potato diseases>. DUH"

There's a 'zillion' of em:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/plymouth/pubs/scurf.html

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...hizoctonia.htm

Thanks for the links - I will take a look at them shortly - I'm sure I will
find the information both interesting and informative. However if I do not,
I will come right back here and mercilessly flame the living shit out of you
of course, but surely you would expect no less of me, nor would I expect you
to give any less were the tables turned. ',;~}~

"Sheldon (grows/knows spuds)"

Good for you! We grow them too, only for ourselves mind you, but we do
rather well.

While this is on my mind, may I pick yours for a little information
regarding growing potatoes?

We were told (rather my wife was while studying horticulture) not to waste
our time and money buying commercial 'seed potatoes' (we're only talking
small grows here, allotment grows etc. if this makes a difference), rather
to just buy the kind we liked at a s/market, and plant those when they went
to seed. He gave her his reasons, and since then, experimenting has backed
up that reasoning.

Various types of commercial seed potatoes, planted at different times and
different locations, when compared to store bought ones in the same
situations, yielded comparatively poorly, suffered much more from disease,
and were attacked rather heavily by pests. The crops were also poorer in
flavour (with the crops from the store bought having vastly more flavour
than the originals too).

Could you, if you please, elucidate as to why this is/maybe, and also, with
the above (at least seemingly) being the case, why do people still buy
expensive seed potatoes?

Cheers!

Shaun aRe
--
Living Life Large Like Loud Lemon Lipped Laughter.