Bob (this one)

LenS wrote:

> Polenta is a European dish made from boiled yellow cornmeal, popular
> in Italy, I believe, made somewhat like good old cornmeal mush.

Northern Italy, up near the alps.

> While I'm no expert (I'm just learning my way around polenta) it is
> made from yellow cornmeal and served with lunch or dinner as a sort of
> vegetable, having been flavored with various ingredients including
> onion, garlic, other vegetables or sometimes meat products. It's also
> served simply with butter.

Not quite. Not served as a vegetable.

Northern Italians most often serve it plain as a base for other dishes.
It's not a side dish, it's a bed for other foods as noodles and rice
sometimes are.

My grandparents made polenta to go under stews or braised dishes. It's
how I saw it served in northern Italy. Some people add things, but
generally, it's very scantily seasoned or augmented.

Pastorio