Bob (this one)

LenS wrote:

> I like cornmeal mush for breakfast now and then but rarely make it.
> When I do I make a little extra and chill the leftover mush overnight
> in a plastic container and then slice and fry it the next morning.
>
> Occasionally I experiment with polenta made with the leftover mush.

Polenta isn't grits. And vice versa.

The standard corn for grits is ground white hominy.
Polenta is traditionally ground yellow corn.

Hominy used to be made by soaking the kernels in lye, and some is still
made that way. The lye removes the hull. There are other methods that
accomplish the same thing and the finished corn is also sometimes called
hominy. <http://www.quakergrits.com/QG_Products/oldfashioned.htm>

Polenta is just ground yellow corn, no lye, not extra treatments.
<http://www.ansonmills.com/products.html>

> I'd like to make a somewhat larger amount and freeze the unflavored
> mush so I can fry some for breakfast or try some new polenta idea
> whenever the mood strikes me, but I haven't been able to find any
> information about freezing mush.

Grits can be frozen, but you'll get some weeping as the starches permit
moisture purging.

Same for polenta.

Pastorio