Reg

A. Kesteloo wrote:

> I used to measure the amount of salt in a brine with an raw egg (first check
> if the egg is fresh)
>
> When the egg floats, the brine is good. (brine for 4 to 5 days)
>
> I now measuring with an egg is not exact, so I bought a brine tester (scale
> 0 To 100%) (http://www.alliedkenco.com ) when checking, an egg floats at
> about 40 %.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> Does 40% sound ok to you?

There is no single brine strength or brine time that works for every type
of food, although I've seen a few very old recipes that imply there is.
There's wide variation based on everything including individual preference.
The floating egg method refers to the amount needed to achieve a certain
degree of *preservation*, which is usually not why people use brines these
days. They're instead used to improve quality.

> Does anyone know how to convert this scale to the baumé scale?

Not to be contentious, by why would you want to do this? The baume
scale is a rather strange animal with two separate modalities, one for
liquids lighter than water and one for liquids heavier than water.
It's basically an obsolete measurement scale.