Vox Humana

"todd" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> We're registering for our wedding and have wanted a vacuum sealer for a
> while. I have heard a lot about the FoodSaver line, but unfortunately
> the two kitchen stores we registered at (WilliamSonoma and Hecht's) do
> not carry that brand. Hecht's is the only one to carry a sealer and
> they carry the "Rival Seal-A-Meal VS110-BCD" (easily found on
> http://www.rivalproducts.com ).
>
> As this looks a bit different then other food sealers I have seen, does
> anyone have opinions on how well it works? (vacuum power, bag sealing,
> and replacement bag availability). I would use this primarily for
> freezing food and food-prep for camping trips.
>
> I searched the history in the rec.food groups and didn't find any
> definitive reviews on this product...most people asking the same
> question as me.

I have the Seal-A-Meal. It works fine. The bag material for the SAM is
very thick and tough. My only complaint about this unit is that you have to
align the left edge of the bad over a rather smallish nozzle. This tends to
be rather awkward. I also find that if the bags are very full, they
sometimes don't seal well. I think this has to do with the fact that it is
hard to keep the bag aligned with the nozzle while preventing it from
pulling out of the sealing mechanism. Since I haven't used the Food Saver,
I can't compare. I would point out that Lowe's was selling the SAM (deluxe
version) for $20 recently.