Jerry Minasi

Default feeding someone with no teeth

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:40:35 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:26:14 +0800, "Raelene"
> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?
>>
>>My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no longer
>>feet....... consequently........ no teeth!
>>
>>Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option for
>>someone bedridden.
>>
>>Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles supermarket
>>this morning.
>>
>>Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream. Yummmooooooooo
>>xxx
>>

>Broth (you can get canned chicken broth that is no salt or low fat, if
>needed), fortified with cereals, such as oatmeal or cream of wheat.
>Apple sauce, soft boiled eggs or softly scrambled ones, custards,
>jello, puddings of any sort. Boiled egg yolks, mixed as for deviled
>eggs.
>
>Pureed fruits are always available in the baby food section, though
>that can get pricey for a grown up. I have never seen a store that has
>no apple sauce.
>
>Fruit smoothies, made in a blender with yogurt and fresh fruit.
>
>Even a donut dunked in coffee or milk might be ok, depending on its
>texture. A corn muffin crumbled into warm milk or hot cocoa.
>
>Canned tuna (with mayo) that has been mashed finely.
>
>Ice cream.
>
>Last, but not least, Ensure will provide correct nourishment.
>
>If there are specific dietary concerns due to hospitalization, make
>the necessary adjustments. Talk to her doctor.
>
>May she recover quickly and may your care of her be as free of stress
>for you as possible.
>

>Boron

Cream of Chicken soup with well cooked "Rienzi brand Arborio Rice".
It's softer, stick-togeather rice. It's imported from Italy so not
every market carries it. Look in a italian market. It is carried in my
local "Pathmark" supermarket here in Long Island, NY.
Jerry