Emma Thackery

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I was about to ask about oats (I don't think oats contain gluten) but
> you mentioned it in this follow-up message. Have you tried whole
> groats? You could rinse off any wheat dust.

The cross-contamination occurs in the fields as well.... apparently.
This is a frequent source of discussion among those with CD. They say
that in the US, wheat can be found growing in most oat fields and it
gets mixed in with the harvested oats. That's why I've been using the
McCanns from Ireland which is never grown around wheat. However, even
McCanns won't guarantee their oats. But the majority of people with
Celiac don't have problems with it.

As far as rinsing goes, I've actually done that with some chocolate bars
(under cold water) because they often use wheat flour to keep them from
sticking to their "assembly" lines. That's what you call desperation.

> What about brown rice?

Yep, I use brown rice all the time but I'd love to find a few more
options. I buy the LG organic Lundberg in 25# sacks. Great stuff.

> I've thought about adding a bunch of large-pearl tapioca to chicken
> broth and calling it "Chicken Eye Soup" ;-) It would probably be more
> convincing in a "Fish Eye Soup".

LOL!