JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms wrote:
> Please, one of you candy makers rescue me for a next make? Tonight I
> made the same exact "family" English toffee I'd at least twenty times
> before, though not in several years now. It's my great grandmother's
> very simple recipe, and I followed it to the letter:
>
> Heat 2 cups butter
> 1-1/2 cups sugar
> 1 cup water
> 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
> Heat on low flame, stirring to a boil; stop stirring until 236

degrees;
> stir constant until 290 degrees; remove from stove to quickly whip in
> 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, then pour out onto greased cookie sheet;
> sprinkle 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips over, spread when melted, then
> gently press chopped nuts onto melted chocolate; cool before breaking
> into pieces.
>
> Tonight the toffee was made exactly that way, with those exact
> ingredients and temperatures, yet it did not come out as "snappy" as
> always before. It did break as normal, but the toffee consistency is
> the stick to your teeth sort instead of crumbly. What could be wrong

or
> changed to be sure of snappy once again?
>
> Picky ~JA~

Sounds like the result of high humidity - here's my recipe -
proportions slightly different, and no salt or baking soda:

Nancy's Toffee Crunch

1 C. butter
1 C. sugar
3 T. water
1 T. corn syrup
1/2 C. coarsely ground almonds
1 C. semi-sweet choc. chips (for the topping)
1/2 C. finely ground almonds

Butter sides of a heavy saucepan. Melt butter. Add sugar, water and
corn syrup, and boil over medium high heat to 290 degrees F.
(soft-crack stage). Remove from heat and stir in the coarsely ground
almonds. Pour into buttered 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan and let cool slightly.

If desired, melt the chips and spread on top the toffee. Sprinkle the
1/2 C. finely ground nuts over the top. Chill thoroughly and break
into pieces.

You can double the choc. chip and finely ground nut measurements, and
after the top side has chilled, you can repeat the chocolate/nut
mixture on the bottom, so both sides of the candy have chocolate on
them.

This recipe doubles easily. When I double it, I put it in a jelly roll
pan (15 x 10 x 1). I use about 2 1/2 C. chocolate chips for the jelly
roll pan size.

If you temper the chocolate, the candy topping will not melt in your
hands as easily -- to temper it, melt half the chocolate chips and
remove from heat. Stir in the other half of the chips, and beat it
until all the chocolate is melted. (Simple method.)

N.