Sheldon

Emma Thackery wrote:
> Unfortunately, I can no longer eat barley.

Why the hell not?

> But I have a fair number of
> recipes that call for it. I've heard that millet, kasha and amaranth

> might make decent substitutes for barley.

Depends on the recipes... since you clam to have a fair number then
perhaps for starters your divluging just two is a fair request...
unless of course they are copyrighted and you're ascared to share with
a bunch of hijackers.

> But my problem is, having
> used little or none of these grains before, I have no idea how to
> substitute them in comparison to barley--- how to adapt the cooking

time
> or other ingredients (especially liquids).

Again, what recipe(s)?

> Neither am I certain if they are really good substitutes.

That would depend on what YOU want to accomplish.

> Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

First YOU need to put some new D cells in your flashlight, and then
maybe you will be capable of illuminating the *specifics* regarding WHY
you can no longer eat barley (for all we know someone knocked out all
your teeth and your jaw is wired), and what in particular you hope to
accomplish.

Sheldon