Emma Thackery

Default Barley Substitutes and How to Use Them?

Unfortunately, I can no longer eat barley. But I have a fair number of
recipes that call for it. I've heard that millet, kasha and amaranth
might make decent substitutes for barley. But my problem is, having
used little or none of these grains before, I have no idea how to
substitute them in comparison to barley--- how to adapt the cooking time
or other ingredients (especially liquids). Neither am I certain if they
are really good substitutes. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Emma