JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

Default English Toffee, need help!

Please, one of you candy makers rescue me for a next make? Tonight I
made the same exact "family" English toffee I'd at least twenty times
before, though not in several years now. It's my great grandmother's
very simple recipe, and I followed it to the letter:

Heat 2 cups butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
Heat on low flame, stirring to a boil; stop stirring until 236 degrees;
stir constant until 290 degrees; remove from stove to quickly whip in
3/4 teaspoon baking soda, then pour out onto greased cookie sheet;
sprinkle 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips over, spread when melted, then
gently press chopped nuts onto melted chocolate; cool before breaking
into pieces.

Tonight the toffee was made exactly that way, with those exact
ingredients and temperatures, yet it did not come out as "snappy" as
always before. It did break as normal, but the toffee consistency is
the stick to your teeth sort instead of crumbly. What could be wrong or
changed to be sure of snappy once again?

Picky ~JA~