Michel Boucher

Default Why is beef so expensive?

"Dimitri" > wrote in
. com:

> Expensive is a relative term based upon your
> disposable/discretionary income. Although prices have increased
> recently since we use the open market system usually there is a
> supply and demand situation.

Since when does the US use the open market system? The production of
most agricultural foodstuffs in the US is either subsidized or managed
and therefore benefit from unfair advantages over countries that don't
subsidize (or receive foreign aid of any sort) like Canada. That has
been a bone of contention in GATT negotiations where the US has
demanded the lowering or elimination of subsidies in other countries
while protecting its own.

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003