Michel Boucher

Default Why is beef so expensive?

(Cdonahey41) wrote in
:

> The price went way up before the mad cow problems/ Since there is
> lot of beef that can no longer be exported, this should indicate
> the price of beef will go down. You know greater supply, lower
> price kind of reasoning. I just paid $3.29 for ground chuck
> recently.
>
> Does anybody know why the price of beef has skyrocketed? I
> presume people have been buying less, and would buy more if the
> price went down.

Same thing happened in Canada last summer. Farmers couldn't sell beef
except at rock bottom prices, but the stores and restaurants were not
having a fire sale...they were charging high, sometimes much higher
than usual, prices. Unfortunately, I didn't check the organic butcher
shop. That would have told me if it was a trend or just gouging (which
in a kapitalyist ekonomiya, is sometimes one and the same anyway :-) ).

--
"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003