Joseph Littleshoes

June Oshiro wrote:

> I tried the Cook's Illustrated "oven-baked fried chicken" recipe. The
>
> bird parts are soaked in a buttermilk garlic brine, flavored with
> mustard and herbs, and coated in melba toast crumbs! (Don't have the
> recipe in front of me, but I think it was dredged in flour, coated in
> eggs/mustard/herbs, and then got a heavy coating of garlic melba
> toast.
> It had a spectacular crunch right out of the oven. Mmm....

There an Asian product for breading called "Panko" that makes a "crispy"
coating, but also fresh bread cut into mall cubes and the piece of
chicken diped in beaten egg & cream or milk then in the bread cubes make
a nice coating. Season the bread cubes any way you wish even adding a
"spritz" (aerated mist) of wine or other liquid to lightly moisten the
bread & get the seasoning to adhere to it.

I have recently become addicted to a commercial product called "Zatarans
Creole seasoning" added to the breading mix it produces a very good
flavour. It does have MSG as an ingredient though.
---
Joseph Littleshoes