Maverick

"Ron M." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Generally, basically, how do commercial fried food places make their
> breading? I'm talking about that really thick, crispy, crunchy breading
> like on Popeye's or Kentucky fried chicken, etc. What are they dipped
> in and breaded with? What temperature is the oil they're fried in?
> I've been trying to duplicate it at home, but without much luck.
>
> R.M.

Well, from working at a KFC 20 years ago, the extra-crispy was dipped in a
buttermilk-type liquid (remember, its been 20 years) and then into the
flour/seasoning dredge and then repeat the process again before into the
oil. The oil was 350 degrees, IIRC. I think it is the double dredging that
makes it "extra-crispy". The original was dipped and then dredged through
flour and the secret spices and then pressure-cooked in oil. Totally
different cooking technique though.

No idea how they do it now though.

Bret