Peter Volsted

hi

> Alf Christophersen wrote:
> In Sch=F8nberg-Erken there is no mentions of any cocktails, so I guess=

> the name for such dishes was not invented in 1933 when my copy was
> printed (8th revision I think).

Speaking about 'fish' never overlook Alan Davidson. In his "North=20
Atlantic Seafood". Viking Press, NY, 1979 page 474 he has a wonderful=20
recipe on Dublin Bay Prawn Cocktail and writes: "The word cocktail does=20
not sound either Irish or old; but this has been the traditional way of=20
eating Dublin Bay prawns in Dublin; at least from the time my maternal=20
grandmother lived there."
As he was born in 1924 I think that will backdate the birth of the=20
cocktail to somewhere in the last half of the 18. century.

Alf - your interesting story of rotten cod in London tends me to=20
recommend you Elizabeth David's "Harvest of the cold Months. The Social=20
History Of Ice And Ices", Penguin Books, London, 1994. Among other good=20
things there are interesting narrations on the use of ice for=20
fish-transportations into London in 17.-18. century from northern and=20
western parts of the kingdom - and from Norway.

--=20
good luck

peter