Brian Macke

Default How to make stroganoff sauce?

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:38:13 -0800, Carmen Dioxide wrote:

> (Lynn Gifford) wrote

>> I THINK the only basic difference between Stroganov and Boeuf
>> Bourguinone (sp?) is the Bourguinone.

> You THINK incorrectly. Get a Julia Child cookbook, a basic french
> regional cookbook or just Google.

You snark unfairly. Boeuf Bourguignon and Beef Stroganoff have many
similarities. Both tend to be served over egg noodles, both involve pan
frying the meet as the first step, both involve wine reductions, and both
share many of the same flavoring vegetables.

They differ based on basic preparation and fat contributors. Boeuf
Bourguignon, a braised dish, gets its fat (and flavor) from the varied
pork products. Beef Stroganoff, a sauteed dish, has less fat but has the
sour cream in the finishing sauce.

And, really, if you're going to get snooty to posters you should be
suggesting people read Larousse Gastronomique. It's going to be a bit more
authoritative than Julia Child.

--
-Brian James Macke

"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which
builds it." -- Unknown