Peter Dy

"David Downie" > wrote in message

> "Peter Dy" > wrote in message
> t...
>>> I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when
>>> they cook with oyster sauce?

>> They do if there's MSG in it!
>>
>> Look for a brand that says "Oyster Flavored Sauce" "Product of
>> Kwangtung." On the back label, it says "Sa Cheng Oyster Flavored Sauce."
>> No MSG. I think it's a very good oyster sauce.

> ok I'll have a look. It's called "Flavouring 261" or something.

Hmmm. I've never heard of it being called "Flavoring 261." Do you have a
link for that?

I just looked at my bottle again, and it didn't say 261 on it (sometimes the
Chinese label gives more info than the English, but not in this case.)

I notice you spell "flavoring" funny, so maybe I should mention that the
oyster sauce without MSG I got was in the States. Though it's obviously
from Guangzhou. Oh--I see now that you're from Australia! Go to lots of
different stores, and I'm sure you'll find a brand that doesn't have MSG.
Look for PRC brands--with primitive-looking labels--as opposed to brands
from Hong Kong that look slick and modern.

>>> What's the latest on MSG anyway.

>> I haven't heard of anything new. Same old, same old. Do a search of
>> this group on Google, and you'll find plenty of flame-wars about MSG, if
>> you're interested in that.

> Not really. I'm no expert, but I'd prefer my cooking to be natural,
> whatver that means. I suppose if MSG was a sauce 1000 years old I'd be
> putting it in by the tablespoon.

OK. But MSG is indeed a lot older than one might think. I don't like
getting into arguments about it though...

Good luck in your search!

Peter