carbuff

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Dave Tuchlinsky" > wrote in message
> .. .
>

>> We're looking at a Whirlpool WERP4120P (self-cleaning, expandable
>> elements, ceramic top). This product line is also rebranded by Kenmore.
>> Whirlpool also makes a version without the hidden element, but it is
>> not available with the expandable stovetop elements.

> Whirlpool makes Kitchen Aid as well as many Kenmore products per Sears'
> specifications. I don't think the sales person knew what he was talking
> about or had some personal interest in selling you another model.

I concur with this. I have a Whirlpool model #GLP84900 (self-cleaning,
non-convection, expandable elements, glass top). It takes 5 minutes to heat
the oven to 350F. That's faster than any exposed-element range I've ever
owned by a huge margin. That, in fact, is the feature I like best about
this range. (The next is how the oven light goes on automatically when you
open the door). )

> I would recommend avoiding the white-on-white top as it is a bitch to keep
> clean.

Mine is all black, and is easy to keep looking nice. The black looks
terrific with the blond oak cabinetry.

While you are at it, I would also consider an convection oven. It
> will perform better than a conventional oven. Meat will cook faster and
> remain more moist

Interesting that you say this. While I was appliance-shopping (last July),
I sought the advice of the only friend I know with a convection range. He
advised against, as in his experience, the food dried out with convection
cooking. So now, he only uses convection to preheat the oven, and then
bakes without the fan. YMMV

The only drawback I've found so far with this range is that the radiant
elements are slower to heat up than the old-fashioned exposed coils, and at
max setting, the heat seems a tad less intense than a red-hot coil. OTOH, I
have yet to burn anything to the bottom of a pan, which I used to do
frequently on my GE.