> Does anyone know the cooking method that is used at Peter Lugers?
>
> I thought they were grilled, but you never see any grill marks, so

I'm
> assuming they are done under a broiler.
>
> My wifes hypothesis is they are done under a VERY hot broiler on the
> platter they are servered on.
>
> I suppose it's possible they are done on hot iron, but that doesn't
> seem likely, maybe though...

FWIW, I don't think the steaks are broiled on a platter; if so, the
steaks would really be partially fried as the fat could not be drained
away. And I imagine that customers paying about $100 each for dinner
wouldn't be too happy about a puddle of congealing fat on the platter.
When the steak is served, the waiter spoons butter and meat juices over
the steak.

Mac