Kake L Pugh

Steve > wrote:
> Anyone have a recipe for hot amaranth cereal that you can make in a
> manner similar to oatmeal?
>
> By that I mean putting some amaranth in a bowl, putting in the
> microwave, and getting a meal out a little bit later?

Depends what your motivation for wanting to do this is.

If you're wanting a quick start in the morning, then soak the amaranth
overnight (I usually use soya milk diluted with water, but plain water
or diluted juice would also work) and then microwave in the morning.
This is very tasty when done with a variety of grains - whole or
flaked - plus nuts and fruits. I've used quinoa, amaranth, barley
flakes, rye flakes, wheatgerm, oats, oh, loads of others that I can't
remember right now. I've even used couscous once or twice when I was
running short of grains.

(The overnight soaking and subsequent cooking makes this completely
different from mixtures that are either not soaked or not cooked. The
grains, nuts and fruits will all change character. Note that most
grain mixtures will take up a *lot* of liquid, so you probably won't
need as much as you think you do! You can soak 4 or 5 days' worth of
breakfasts at a time if you keep the soaking mixture in the fridge.)

If you're wanting something that you can whip up quickly from dry
ingredients at little notice, then grinding the amaranth in a food
processor might work to make it cook quicker, but this (unlike the
suggestion above) is untested.

Kake