Vox Humana

"Mobjoe" > wrote in message
> My wife has tried three times to bake an angle food cake and when she

turns
> the pan over the cake collapses about 3 inches. She is using a cake pan

that
> the bottom comes out.
> Tia
> Mobjoe

How is the texture of the cake? If it is wet, then the cake wasn't baked
enough. How was it cooled? Angel food cake should be cooled with the pan
inverted. If it is thoroughly baked and cooled in an inverted position, I
don't see how it could collapse. It would help if you posted the recipe.
Also, make sure the pan is NOT greased.

Foam cakes are rather technique sensitive. You have to whip the whites to
the proper stage and no more. The equipment has to be free of grease. The
eggs have to be stabilized by using a copper bowl or more frequently an acid
like cream of tartar. The sugar should be added to the whites slowly. You
have to be very careful when you fold in the dry ingredients. Still, if the
cake had good volume when it went into the oven and after it came out, only
to collapse later, then I think it is underbaked and maybe not properly
cooled.