Kate B

Default Appetizer and Dessert to serve with Osso Buco & Risotto Milanese?

I am making a special dinner tomorrow. Braised veal shanks (osso buco) with
capers, olives, pancetta and gremolata served with Risotto alla Milanese
(saffron risotto). The osso buco recipe I posted last August (probably the
best recipe that I have cobbled together from reading many different recipes
in a long time). I am actually making it right now because it tastes even
better the next day. I am using a classic saffron risotto recipe but both
of these dishes are rather robust and filling. I want to start with an
appetizer that I can serve with a very nice Chardonnay. It needs to be
fairly light given what follows. I am thinking something with smoked salmon
(maybe?) but I don't want the usual smoked salmon on toasted bread etc. Any
thoughts?

As to dessert. I was thinking about serving a warm chocolate tart with
vanilla ice cream. I have a very nice recipe for this and a bunch of
bittersweet Caillebaut that hankers to be used (basically a tart made with
pate sucree and filled with a chocolate ganache lightened a bit with a
beaten egg). I am wondering if this sounds too "heavy" given the main
course. The main course is being served with an exceptional Barolo. I
don't do dessert wines. Would it be more complimentary to serve something
like a lemon tart or would that be too much citrus given the gremolata
(lemon peel, parsley & garlic) topping for the osso buco?

I'm probably agonizing over nothing but it doesn't hurt to ask ;-).

TIA

Kate