Kent

You have to make tomato sauce from real tomatoes and then make your pasta
sauce. The former is an afternoon's work and isn't worth it unless you have
at least a lug[25 or so lb.] of tomatoes.
I roast the tomatoes in a 250 oven for 2-3 hours, until the skin gets very
loose. Then you put the tomatoes, including the liquid at the bottom of the
roaster pan through a mill to remove skin and seeds. Then you reduce this on
top of the stove, very slowly, with only a slight ebullation at the surface
to the wished for consistency and thickness of your sauce. From that you
make your ragu, or whatever. The taste of the tomato sauce far exceeds
anything you will find in a can, and is worth the effort. This will freeze
without loss of flavor for a long time.
Cheers,
Kent

oups.com...