Scott Taylor

Default Pork "Sauerbraten"????

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I wonder if there is such a thing as sauerbraten
> made with pork instead of beef. I vaguely recall
> possibly having seen such a recipe ages ago, but
> I might be hallucinating. Anyway, I'm having friends
> for dinner over the holidays and one of them doesn't
> eat beef. After going through dozens of recipes I
> came across my sauerbraten recipe and had an intense
> craving for it. So, I was thinking, couldn't you
> maybe make something similar with pork? Probably
> wouldn't be called sauerbraten though, then again it
> might. Not quite sure what the "braten" part means.
> Anyway, does anyone out there have a recipe or has
> anyone ever heard of it? If I thought it would
> work (that is, not taste sucky) I would just make
> it according to my sauerbraten recipe. Help!
> Friday, December 19th, tomorrow, is my last day
> at work and at the computer until January 5 so it
> I can get a response before 5pm EST tomorrow it would
> be great. If not I'll have to decide whether or not
> to experiment with it on my own. P.S. I've already
> googled it and haven't yet come up with anything.
> TIA,
> Kate

Sure, pork makes great sauerbraten. I'd use a boneless pork shoulder, since
it contains some fat, and won't get all dried out in the long braising
process. It might take less cooking time than beef, so watch and test it
often towards the end of the cooking. When a fork pierces the meat easily,
it's done.

-Scott