"Pete Romfh" > wrote:
> My wife's family is from Central Wisconsin (Bloomer). Her dad had a
> smokehouse on the farm and made rings of a pork sausage that were some of
> the best I've ever eaten. He also made (and smoked) rings of a dark red
> bologna. I've been trying to capture the recipe and have gotten his
> description of the process and a hand written recipe that describes the
> process and basic ingredients. But it mentions adding "spices" without
> describing type or quantity. At 90 Grandpa's memory is just a bit vague
> so I'm looking for extra help.

Hi Pete,

I haven't made these myself, but in 'Great Sausage Recipes and Meat
Curing', Rytek Kutas describes Smoked Pork Breakfast Sausage (p. 210) and
Smoked Ring Bologna (p. 205), among many others.

For 10 lbs of Sausage, his spices a 2 level tsp. Prague Powder # 1, 6
Tbs. salt, 1 Tbs. ground white pepper, 2 Tbs. rubbed sage, 1 tsp. ground
ginger, 1 Tbs. ground nutmeg [note: mace], 1 Tbs. thyme, 1 cup soy protein
concentrate.

For 10 lbs. of Ring Bologna, his spices a 2 level tsp. Prague Powder #
1, 1 Tbs. ground white pepper, 2 Tbs. paprika, 1 Tbs. ground nutmeg [note:
mace], 1 tsp. allspice, 1 tsp. onion powder, 8 Tbs. salt, 2 cups non-fat
dry milk or soy protein concentrate.

Hope this helps.

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.