Janet Bostwick

Default Decorative Rosemary; edible?

"D.Currie" > wrote in message
> I bought it at a nursery that had all sorts of interesting plant

variations,
> including at least a half-dozen types of rosemary. Different scents,
> different leaf variations. This one in particular looks like a regular
> rosemary plant, but has a very strong pine scent. It smells more like pine
> than pine does, and gives off the scent very easily. No need to crush or
> mangle the leaves, you just brush against it, and you get a good whiff.

Just
> watering it, and I smell the pine.
>
> The label on it said that it wasn't for eating but was great for sachets

and
> potpourri. I don't know that it's actually poisonous, but it probably
> doesn't taste very good. They had quite a few plants that you'd normally
> think of as culinary or medicinal plants that were odd variations that

were
> intended to be used for the scents only.
>
> I don't know the botanical name of my plant, but I know it was in the
> rosemary family. Maybe if they have them again next year, I'll get more
> information. If I go back there again, that is. Last spring it got a bit
> costly with all the interesting things I found....
>
> Donna

While I have never heard of a rosemary that is not edible, I do know that
various edible varieties are described in catalogs as being more or less
resinous(piney). Some of the rosemary plants that I have and eat from are
almost a sticky to the touch as pine. They have a very piney smell.
Good Luck
Janet