D.Currie

Default Decorative Rosemary; edible?

"anna maria" > wrote in message
> D.Currie wrote:
> > "Christopher Green" > wrote in message
> > m...

> >>Any true rosemary is edible, so long as the nursery didn't do
> >>something like treat it with a systemic insecticide. Another remote
> >>possibility is that it is a non-rosemary such as Westringia, which
> >>would likewise be not edible.
> >>
> >>Different rosemary varieties have greater or lesser culinary quality:
> >>I find the common dwarf rosemary to have little flavor (and bad at
> >>that), but the tall "Tuscan Blue" to be much more aromatic and
> >>satisfactory.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Chris Green

> > There are variations of Rosemary that aren't edible as well. I've got a
> > pine-scented rosemary that's not edible. As far as whether a plant

should be
> > clearly labeled as not edible -- well, most plants aren't labeled as to
> > whether they're edible or not.
> >

> i never heard of non edible rosmary. do you have more information about
> this?
> thank you, anna maria
>

> www.annamariavolpi.com

I bought it at a nursery that had all sorts of interesting plant variations,
including at least a half-dozen types of rosemary. Different scents,
different leaf variations. This one in particular looks like a regular
rosemary plant, but has a very strong pine scent. It smells more like pine
than pine does, and gives off the scent very easily. No need to crush or
mangle the leaves, you just brush against it, and you get a good whiff. Just
watering it, and I smell the pine.

The label on it said that it wasn't for eating but was great for sachets and
potpourri. I don't know that it's actually poisonous, but it probably
doesn't taste very good. They had quite a few plants that you'd normally
think of as culinary or medicinal plants that were odd variations that were
intended to be used for the scents only.

I don't know the botanical name of my plant, but I know it was in the
rosemary family. Maybe if they have them again next year, I'll get more
information. If I go back there again, that is. Last spring it got a bit
costly with all the interesting things I found....

Donna