Janet Bostwick

Default Decorative Rosemary; edible?

"Richard Periut" > wrote in message
> Dennis G. wrote:
> > Richard Periut > wrote:
> >

> >>I have purchased a decorative rosemary plant, trimmed in the form of a
> >>pine tree.
> >>
> >>I went to their site http://www.pinerytree.com/ to see if they mention
> >>if it's edible, but they make no mention. They do mention every other
> >>use for it.
> >>
> >>There is no e-mail or contact number in the web site.
> >>
> >>I know it's rosemary for sure, but I don't know if they added some
> >>resin/chemical for decorative and aromatic qualities.
> >>
> >>I would also think that if it were not edible, it should be very clear
> >>on the pot it came with.
> >>
> >>TIA,
> >>
> >>Richard

They say the Dipel is the insecticide to use for problems, so I guess you
can assume that your plant has been treated with that. And they say that
although rosemary has been a culinary herb for centuries, consumption of any
raw plant is not recommended? I'd say they are protecting their legal
backsides. Rosemary that is fresh to the indoors is extremely aromatic, so
I doubt that your rosemary has been treated in any way to increase its
scent. However, rosemary can be extremely tricky to keep indoors over
winter. It easily gets fungus that cause black spots on old growth and a
furry white fungus on tender new growth. You've got to have the light, soil
and watering conditions just right indoors. I succeeded with one plant for
many years until it got so big I couldn't lift it into the tub to water it
any longer. Since then I have not had success. Good luck.
Janet