Ralconte

"J F" > wrote in message m>...
> "Ralconte" > wrote in message
> > I've googled around, and the suggestion is wine yeast for dry, ale
> > yeast for residual sugar. But what kind? As I look closer, the
> > particular strains of cider yeast and ale yeasts suggested all report
> > that the cider will ferment dry.

> Okay I just recalled another idea. Blend in pear juice to your apple juice.
> Pears have naturally occuring non fermentable sugars. I just finished at
> batch of perry that would not drop below 1.006, a semi dry finish by taste.

Thanks I will try this. I can even shoot in a small bottle of pear
nectar now while the cider is still fermenting.

Most yeasts that give a % alcohol that's toxic would not conk out
before they ferment all the natural sugars in cider. Maybe, despite
my better judgement, I'll try bread yeast -- I know that will stop at
low alcohol levels.