Vox Humana

Default What is the best brand of cake pans ?

"Angela" > wrote in message
om...
> What is the best brand of cake pans ? I am trying to find out what are
> the best cake pans cost no consideration and what are the best cake
> pans for the money. I have heard Magic Line by Parrish are a very well
> known high quality pan. But also have heard that the Wilton Decorator
> Preferred professional pans are supposed to be good (not to be
> confused with the Wilton Performance pans). I read online "The May
> 1999 Good Housekeeping Institute Report rates the WiltonŽ Professional
> pan #1 out of 31 different 9 in. round pans."
>
> I saw on this website http://cooksdream.com/thestore/B.html that Magic
> Line does not have perfectly straight sides and that Ultimate
> Bakerware are supposed to be the best pans. It also goes on to say
> "Recent research and studies have found that a heavy shiny aluminum
> pan will bake faster, more evenly, and give consistent results. The
> lower the gauge in metal the heavier the pan is." The Magic Line and
> the Ultimate Bakerware are both 16 gauge. The Wilton pans are 18
> gauge. But there is another brand I found online that wasn't even
> mentioned on the website called American Metalcraft that is 14 gauge
> and is supposed to be a "professional" pan.
>
> Help !!! What brands have you guys tried ? Which ones did you like and
> not like ?

I have a combination of Wilton Performance and Magic Line cake pans. I have
used them for years and have no complaints. My Magic Line pans appear to
have perfectly straight sides. Unless you are planning to really bang these
pans around, I don't see any need to get extremely heavy pans. All my pans
eventually become dull but not dark. They bake evenly. A few years ago
Cook's Illustrated reviewed cake pans. They concluded that All-Clad cake
pans were the best. They had better luck with the cake releasing than with
aluminum pans. I don't have problems with cakes sticking and therefore, I
couldn't justify paying $80+ for a cake pan.