Pete Romfh

Default Smoked ring bologna & pork sausage

My wife's family is from Central Wisconsin (Bloomer). Her dad had a
smokehouse on the farm and made rings of a pork sausage that were some of
the best I've ever eaten. He also made (and smoked) rings of a dark red
bologna. I've been trying to capture the recipe and have gotten his
description of the process and a hand written recipe that describes the
process and basic ingredients. But it mentions adding "spices" without
describing type or quantity. At 90 Grandpa's memory is just a bit vague so
I'm looking for extra help.

I know there's Mace, salt, and cure in the bologna but it's talking 1oz of
mace in a 100 lb batch of meat. That didn't seem proportional.
The directions for "Smoked sausage" are even more vague, calling for pork,
cold water, cure, and spices. He preferred things simple so the spices might
just be salt & pepper but I'd sure like some clearer ideas.

I'm planning on making a few small batches of each type to clarify and take
pictures. The "smokehouse" will have to be our WSM so I'll be scaling the
recipes down by a factor of 20.

I'd love to hear your ideas and guidance on this.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org