Peter Dy

"krusty kritter" > wrote in message
> >From: "Peter Dy"

>>Yeah, I had fried yucca patties recently at a Dominican restaurant in NYC.
>>Search for "arepas de yuca" and you'll find some recipes. Or search
>>"yucca
>>patties."

> Thanks, Peter. I found two recipes:

There's also a great Filipino "dessert" made with cassava called bibingka.
I didn't mention it since it's from Asia, but maybe you'd be interested. (I
also forgot that yucca=cassava.) Here's one recipe, but there are lots of
others out there. I've never made it myself.

http://www.jsonline.com/entree/cooki...p?format=print

In Veracruz, Mexico last summer, I got something very similar at my favorite
bakery--a moist, slightly sweet square of what seemed like cassava. They
called it "budín." I just did a google search though, and it doesn't seem
like they have that in Mexico. They do have "budín de pan," which I guess
would translate to "bread pudding," so maybe that is what I got. This cute
young girl was working there at the time, and I asked her what it was made
of, and she made a face and said she didn't know, adding "No me gusta."
Haha. But my search also revealed that a regional version of cassava
bibingka in the Philippines goes by the name of budin! Wow, had no idea.
Looks like a good recipe (first link below). There are also Central
American budines made with cassava, but they're not sweet. It does give you
something to do with yucca instead of frying though. The second link is to
a Guatemalan recipe of cassava budín.

http://tinyurl.com/54qe5

http://expedition.bensenville.lib.il...udindeYuca.htm

Peter