Bigbazza

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
Bigbazza wrote:

> "Steve Lee" > wrote in message
>
>>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>>to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>
>>Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>>describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>>cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>>you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>>handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>>encoutered this before?

Yes. It's the smell of pork.

>>I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>>this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>>something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>>
>>Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>>strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>>courtesy.

This is totally subjective issue. That smell is the smell of the meat.
Nothing much to do about it. Heavy seasoning, smoking, grilling
outdoors and other such remedies can mask the scent, but why bother.
It sounds like you don't like pork. Don't eat pork. Try some milder
meats like rabbit or alligator.

> Like Bob say's 'Refrigeration'....If you leave the pork longer than a
> day or so..It will develop that 'smell' about it and you will notice it
> whilst cooking it then!!...It's not necessarily 'off'...but develops a
> stronger smell about it !!
>
> If buying 'Pork' to use longer than a day...'Freeze ' it or put in a
> marinade until the next day only....

This is not good advice. Too sweeping. Pork in cryopackaging will last
up to 45 days from pack date without any problems. Most freshly cut
pork stored at a fridge temp in the mid-30°F range will last four or
five days before any spoilage scents begin to emerge. That's why cut
meats have sell-by dates on them that are more than a day away.

Pastorio

Well....Good advice or not...It works well with me !!....I have been cooking
food and handling it now for nearly 60 years !!..

Bigbazza