Dave Smith

PENMART01 wrote:

> > Gyros is ground lamb, spiced and baked in a pan.

> Usually ground lamb but can also be beef/goat, but it's not baked in a pan...
> gyro is roasted on a vertical *rotating* spit... rotating, hence the name
> "gyro".

Most of the recipes that I found said to pack it into a loaf pan and bake it. One
suggested sticking a minimum 2 lb weight on it while cooling to compress it. Only
one of them suggested cooking it on a spit, but could also be done in a pan in the
oven. Personally, I was surprised to see the pan idea because I was used to
seeing it on a vertical spit, but those were commercially prepared and being
reheated.

Gyros is great stuff. It seems to be getting more popular here as people learn
about it. I have introduced at least a dozen people to them at local Greek
restaurants and only one person was not impressed.