PENMART01

>Dave Smith writes:
>
>Zspider wrote:
>
>> Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it? I did
>> a lamb shish kabob here recently that the family liked, but
>> besides that I don't have any experience with lamb.
>>
>> How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
>> the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
>> heavily. I'd like to try that!
>>
>> If I'm clueless and lamb isn't what is used on a gyros, what
>> type of meat is and how should I prepare it?

> Gyros is ground lamb, spiced and baked in a pan.

Usually ground lamb but can also be beef/goat, but it's not baked in a pan...
gyro is roasted on a vertical *rotating* spit... rotating, hence the name
"gyro".

Oxford

gyro

noun (PL. -os) N. Amer. a sandwich made with slices of spiced meat cooked on a
spit, served with salad in pitta bread.

€”ORIGIN 1970s: from modern Greek guros 'turning'.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon