George Shirley

Zspider wrote:
> Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it? I did
> a lamb shish kabob here recently that the family liked, but
> besides that I don't have any experience with lamb.
>
> How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
> the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
> heavily. I'd like to try that!
>
> If I'm clueless and lamb isn't what is used on a gyros, what
> type of meat is and how should I prepare it?
>
> Thank you, Michael

You can use either lamb or beef, I use beef because lamb is very
expensive in my area. The best gyros, aka shwarmas, the meat is sliced
thin, stacked on a vertical spit, roasted with a gas fire while the spit
turns moderately slow. As the meat gets done it is sliced straight down
and the pieces put in pita bread, or as they did in Saudi Arabia, on a
hot dog bun (surprisingly good that way). The spices on the ones I had
in the Middle East, Greece, and Israel were mixed in with the sauce. The
sauce was a type of mayo with the appropriate spices added to it. I
couldn't eat more than 4 or 5 at time back then. <VBG>

One of the best shwarmas I ever had was at the King David shwarma shop
in Amsterdam, just down the street from the Arthur Frommer Hotel and
very near the trolley stop I used for getting around town.

I'm sure you can find many recipes on line. If you can't find a decent
"Arabic spices" recipe drop me a line and I will copy a recipe out of my
Arabic foods cookbook.

George