Bob (this one)

Bigbazza wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message=20
> Bigbazza wrote:
>=20
>>"Steve Lee" > wrote in message=20
. ..

>>>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed=

>>>to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>>
>>>Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>>>describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>>>cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>>>you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>>>handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>>>encoutered this before?

>=20
> Yes. It's the smell of pork.
>=20
>>>I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>>>this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>>>something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>>>
>>>Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>>>strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>>>courtesy.

>=20
> This is totally subjective issue. That smell is the smell of the meat.
> Nothing much to do about it. Heavy seasoning, smoking, grilling
> outdoors and other such remedies can mask the scent, but why bother.
> It sounds like you don't like pork. Don't eat pork. Try some milder
> meats like rabbit or alligator.
>=20
>>Like Bob say's 'Refrigeration'....If you leave the pork longer than a=

=20
>>day or so..It will develop that 'smell' about it and you will notice it=

=20
>>whilst cooking it then!!...It's not necessarily 'off'...but develops a =

>>stronger smell about it !!
>>
>>If buying 'Pork' to use longer than a day...'Freeze ' it or put in a=20
>>marinade until the next day only....

>=20
> This is not good advice. Too sweeping. Pork in cryopackaging will last
> up to 45 days from pack date without any problems. Most freshly cut
> pork stored at a fridge temp in the mid-30=B0F range will last four or
> five days before any spoilage scents begin to emerge. That's why cut
> meats have sell-by dates on them that are more than a day away.
>=20
> Pastorio
>=20
> Well....Good advice or not...It works well with me !!....I have been co=

oking=20
> food and handling it now for nearly 60 years !!..

I'm happy for you. Except for that "I have to be right" part.

I had my first restaurant job in 1953. We did things differently than=20
you do, it would seem. The other different thing we did and I've=20
always done is to read about food science while taking professional=20
training.

Your advice is like telling somebody they have to consume that milk on=20
the first day they buy it. No real reason, just "It works well with=20
me" no matter what.

Pastorio